Monday, March 8, 2010

Goals for 2010

I am happy to report that I have lots of goals for the year whether or not they all are attained will be interesting.  They are as follows:

  • Start a new blog (done!)
  • Go to see my daughter graduate school, go Charlsey!
  • Go back to Springer, March 20, and yes start hiking back north at least as far as Fontana Dam.  But I am thinking of going farther as I have no other goal holding me from the trail until mid-May.
  • Go to Trail Days, Damascus, VA to see friends
  • Begin my Americorps tour (not sure if tour is the right word) in Maine.  If I am accepted, I will be working outside doing trail maintenance, state park projects.  I look forward to the opportunity to give back to the state of Maine and the environment.
  • Mid-August - return to Canada to complete the Long Trail.  In case you don't know I attempted this last late September and ran into snow and ice.  I fell 6 times in the course of one day and hurt my knee.  I knew that I had to make a choice to either get off the trail or attempt the highest peak in Vt. (Mansfield) and become someone else's problem when I needed rescueing.  I cried all day but knew in my heart that I had to do as I say and do the right thing.  I called my uncle and asked to be picked up.  I was very sad at the failure but am ready to take on the challenge this year and know that I will succeed.
  • If all goes right, everyone keep their fingers crossed please, in October, I will be headed to Antarctica to work.  During a seminar at my last place of employment I was asked once what to you want to do in life?  I immediately replied that I wanted to make a difference in the world and I truly do.  I really want this job to support the science that is going on there to make a difference, to prove things are happening in our environment and we need to be aware of those changes and start changing our ways before it is too late. 
  • Get a penguin tattoo if I get to go to Antarctica.
That is enough goals for one year, what do you think?


2 comments:

  1. There are tattoo shops in Antarctica?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna,

    I am trying to find an email for you to be in touch again. That lovely polished black stone sits on my counter above my sink and I think of you often. Am retired from MHC and joining you in following my passion.

    Mary F.

    ReplyDelete